Perhaps I also need to stress another aspect not related directly to patient
safety.

The 10 ml bottle of 100 mg/ml solution will often only have less than one ml
used in a procedure and then the rest is discarded. We should routinely cut
the top of the bottle off and discard the remaining solution witnessed by
the nurse, before placing the bottle in the sharps bin.

Ketamine does have a street value, so there is potential for the used bottle
with 9 mls to be pocketed once it has been signed out from the Drugs Book.
An individual could even search through a sharps bin for a partially used
bottle of ketamine.

If there was a problem with ketamine use in the community in the future we
need the above system in place so that we can defend ourselves from any
accusations!

Hence this is another reason for the 100 mg/ml solution to be produced in a
2 ml glass vial!

Ray McGlone

Lancaster