Yes hannah (and everyone else) fish and birds and reptiles etc too...no one
has mentioned mrs walkers bone book - is that still available?

Hi,

If you are including fish bones I recommend:

Yee Cannon, D. 1987. Marine Fish Osteology; A Manual for
Archaeologists. Burnaby: Archaeology Press Simon Fraser University.

Radu, V. 2005. Atlas for the Identification of Bony Fish Bones from
Archaeological Sites. Bucharest, Romania: Asociatia Romana de
Arheologie Studii de Preistorie

Lepiksaar, J. 1981/1983. Osteologia. I. Pisces. Unpublished (available
through ZooBook)

Wheeler, A. & A. K. G. Jones 1989. Fishes Cambridge Manuals in
Archaeology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

All the best, Hannah

Hannah Russ
AHRC PhD Researcher
Division of AGES
Phoenix Building SW
University of Bradford
BD7 1DP
UK

Quoting Jacqui Mulville <[log in to unmask]>:

As part of our artist-in-residents research I am compilling a list of
great bone illustrations -

So far I  have pointed him at

Osteographie des cetaces by Benden and Gervais.

   * Driesch A.E. von den (1976). /A Guide to the Measurement of
Animal Bones from Archaeological Sites./  Peabody Museum Bulletin 1./
/,

   * Hillson, S W, 1992. /Mammal Bones and Teeth. An Introductory
Guide to Methods of Identification/. London : Institute of Archaeology
& Archetype

Schmid, E. Atlas of animal bones

as I have them to hand - any other suggestions?

Jacqui Mulville (PhD),

Osteography
http://osteography.wordpress.com/

Future Friends/Future Animals
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/hisar/archaeology/futureanimals/
http://futureanimals.wordpress.com/

School of History and Archaeology, Cardiff University,
Humanities Building, Colum Drive, CARDIFF, CF10 3EU
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/hisar/people/archaeology/jm1/

Tel: + 44 (0) 29 2087 4247
Fax: + 44 (0) 29 2087 4929