As far as I'm aware, it should work for images collected in any
orientation, providing the second dimension is phase encoding.  This is
the y dimension in "voxel-space" (check with Display).  The data should
be stored coronally and the voxel-to-world matrix in the headers should
encode a mapping into the usual orientation.

Best regards,
-John

--
John Ashburner <[log in to unmask]>