See inline responses below.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
=================
D.G. McLaren
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Neuroscience Training Program
Office: (608) 520-0586
=====================
unintentionally, please immediately notify the sender via telephone at (608)
520-0586 or email.

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 2:48 AM, Bill Budd <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>  Dear All,
>
> I'm a little confused about recent posts regarding the flexible factorial
> model and the Glascher and Gitelman (2008) tutorial document Rachel posted
> below. The recent posts from Darren and Donald indicate that you cannot use
> a flexible factorial model to test between subject/group effects. I am wrong
> in assuming that therefore the model/contrasts (Design 2 and 3) in the
> tutorial document are incorrect?

Only the between subject contrasts are wrong, in my statistical opinion. The
reason being is that there is a single error in SPM, whereas the majority of
other programs have two error terms, one for within-subject error and one
for between subject error. Some have argued that you can use partitioned
error (the way SPM is set up), but most of the statisticians I have talked
to prefer splitting the error term (the way SAS and SPSS are set up) as well
as the point that your df is inflated in SPM because you have multiple
observations for each subject in the between-subject measurements. For the
interaction and between-subject, the within-subject error term is what
should be used and is what SPM provides.

> Another recent post on the topic queried why a flexbile factorial model
> should be used at all since both main effect of group and interactions can
> be tested directly (without averaging over condition) using the full
> factorial model. The tutorial document indicatethat including main
> effects for subject and group in the design increases sensitivity. If so, is
> it the case that subject and group factors should still be included in a
> flexible factorial design, even though the error term is specified
> incorrectly, but that only condition and group by condition interactions can
> be tested?

I haven't compared the two models (flex versus factorial) to see if there
are any differences. If the model is the same, as it should be, the only
differences would be do to something being done behind the interface.

As to the last question, you are correct. Include all three in the model
(subject, group, condition) and the interaction if that is of interest. And
only interpret the T-/F- tests for the condition or interaction terms. The
beta estimates or contrasts for between-subject terms can be used, but the
T-/F- test can't be interpreted. This allows you to accurately plot the
response for each group-condition pairing without a separate model. This is
possible because the estimates will not change because in the model you are
averaging across all conditions in all subjects within a group which is the
same as averaging across each condition in each subject and then averaging
the result across all subjects within a group.

Hope this clarifies your questions.