Here are the quotations for the coming week (Feb 28th to March 6th(:

1. ‘Get a purchase on her,’ I shouted, and he spun round, lapping that good copper wire about him. I opened the garden gate politely, and he passed out, spinning his own cocoon. Still the bell came up, hand over hand, and still the wire held fast. He was in the middle of the road now, whirling like an impaled cockchafer, and shouting madly for his wife and family. There he met with the ambulance, the bell within the house gave one last peal, and bounded from the far end of the hall to the inner side of the hall-door, where it stayed fast.

2. They drifted under the great twelve-inch pinned timbers of the footbridge towards the bench, and, I gathered, the time was very near at hand. The stuff was getting in its work. Blue, white, and blue again, rolled over the navvy’s face in waves, till all settled to one rich clay-bank yellow and—that fell which fell.

I thought of the blowing-up of Hell Gate; of the geysers in the Yellowstone Park; of Jonah and his whale; but the lively original, as I watched it foreshortened from above, exceeded all these things.

3. Mrs. Bellamy opened the window and spoke. It appears she had only charged for damage to the bicycle, not for the entire machine which Mr. Lingnam was ruthlessly gleaning, spoke by spoke, from the highway and cramming into the slack of the hood. At last he answered, and I have never seen a man foam at the mouth before. ‘If you don’t stop, I shall come into your house—in this car—and drive upstairs and—kill you!’

She stopped; he stopped. Holford took the wheel, and we got away.

The sources of this week's extracts (Feb 21st to 27th) are as follows:

1.  (...He saw perspectives of heads—gunshot wounds—seen from above and a little behind,..)  This is from "The Tender Achilles" in Limits and Renewals.

2.  (...He coughed, and as he drew breath, his pain broke through all the drugs, and the outcry filled the room …)  This is from "Dayspring Mishandled" in Limits and Renewals.

3.  (...She was choking with her throat; had rushed to the window for air; had near pitched out, and in catching at the window bars had cut her hand.)  This is from "The House Surgeon" in Actions and Reactions.

In the New Readers' Guide we have just published notes by David Page on chapters XI to XIV from From Sea to Sea, which report on Kipling's visit to Japan with the Hills on his way back to England in 1889.

Good wishes to all, John R

Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/