The Lewins and Silver book is getting a bit dated, which is sad as the software moves on rather fast. Silvana is right though the Caqdas project is the best place to go for impartial advice.

On the subject of work arounds, these are only available if you know people who use the software, or if you find a solution to a problem… that back to the argument is not intuitive…..

Paul gD

From: qual-software [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of SdG Associates
Sent: 02 February 2010 09:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: which is best nvivo or atlas? - MAXQDA10 Release soon

For the best up to date information on all the top packages see the CAQDAS project - which has no ties to any commercial developer - http://caqdas.soc.surrey.ac.uk/softwareoptions.html

You may also want to consult:

Lewins & Silver (2007) Using Software in Qualitative Research : A Step-by-Step Guide, Sage Publications, London

or my book - di Gregorio, S. and Davidson, J. (2008) Qualitative Research Design for software Users, Open University Press

The question is not so much which is the 'best' package - as these packages are constantly being updated (e.g MAXqda 10 will be released soon, NVivo 9 in the autumn). It is more a case of whether you have a support group you can dip into where you work. And you also need training in all of these packages - none are intuitive although some people may have personal preferences. I see their commonalities. What is important is that you think about the design of your research and make sure that you represent that design in the way you set up the project in whatever software you choose. Some may be a bit stronger for certain kinds of data or research designs e.g. if your data are purely video than Transana is the obvious choice - which is why I suggest you look at the CAQDAS link above. However, in all the packages mentioned, you can always find work-arounds to compensate for any weaknesses.

Best wishes,

Silvana

Silvana di Gregorio, PhD
SdG Associates