I have found all this information on climate change really useful.  If everyone is happy for me to i would like to add appropriate links to the teaching resources on climate change we provide for teachers.  www.practicalaction.org.uk/education/climate_change.  As part of the curriculum students have to question  the validity of information the public receive on various topical issues such as climate change.  If you have any more  material you feel would be useful for students please contact me.

Julie
Education Manager
Practical Action

From: psci-com: on public engagement with science on behalf of Owen Gaffney
Sent: Mon 15/02/2010 16:06
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [PSCI-COM] Climate change resources

At the moment, climate research is contested by the same small number of people who have always contested the evidence that humans are causing the climate to change and that this is something we need to be concerned about. These people now have a lot more air time in the media because of the recent exposure of some mistakes that crept into the  Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Fifth Assessment Report, and the hacked emails.

Our former chair, Peter Liss,  said in the Telegraph last week that the evidence for there being substantial climate change due to man's activities is huge. If you want to argue against that case you have to produce some evidence.

Which is a fair point. It is damaging to the public understanding of the science that the IPCC report has at least one glaring error and this has been front page news for a few weeks. Also,  specific quotes from the leaked emails reflect poorly on the scientists. But the actual science is still sound - there is a mountain of evidence to back it up. What evidence is there to the contrary?

See:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686

Owen