From: Oliver Kessler <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 10 February 2010 16:44
Subject: CFP
To: Ian Bruff <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Ian
hope you are doing well. Just wondering: could you please send this cfp through your network? I am not sure whether I can/allowed to do it on my own.....
thanks and hope to see you soon. kind regards
oliver

Call for papers and panels

Economic Communities and Institution-Building in Times of Crisis (Section 42)

Accepted section for 7th Pan-European International Relations Conference ’Politics in Hard Times: International Relations Responses to the Financial Crisis’, Stockholm 9-11 September 2010

Please note the new deadline of 28 February 2010 and new submission procedure at the conference website: http://www.gesellschaftswissenschaften.uni-frankfurt.de/index.pl/sgir2010

Abstracts should be of 200-300 words length. It is also possible to submit full panels under this heading for consideration. You will be notified of the status of your submission by 31 March 2010.

Convenors:
Timothy Sinclair, University of Warwick, ([log in to unmask])
Oliver Kessler, Bielefeld University, ([log in to unmask])

The financial crisis that began in the summer of 2007 has shattered the political complacency that developed in the “long moderation” of the 1990s and the first decade of the new millennium. Globalized capitalism no longer seems like a self-regulating, stable system. The goals of this section are to identify the systemic demands for governance and the emerging seeds of responses, in terms of market and politico-legal institutions, nationally, transnationally and surpranationally. We are also curious about the sort of world order that is likely to emerge from these pressures and efforts to respond. Will this be more of the same, or have responses to the crisis shifted the nature of governance mechanisms and the form and characteristics of globalized capitalism.

Section themes:

• The role of uncertainty in shaping responses
• Elite and governmental panic
• Efforts to defend previous actions
• Cooperation versus unilateralism in responses
• State efforts to discipline self-regulating institutions
• Regional dimension of regulatory responses: the EU in comparison
• Re-emergence of Keynesianism?
• Crisis management or symbolic politics? The usefulness of current responses
• Microincentives vs macro-politics

This section accepts papers and panel proposals.

Timothy J. Sinclair

Associate Professor of International Political Economy

Department of Politics and International Studies

Faculty of Social Sciences

University of Warwick

www.timothy-j-sinclair.com

www.sinclairmonitor.com