Thomas Lynch (the Undertaker Poet) has a poem about this, set in Ireland, no specific date I think but maybe turn of the 19/20th century, called (appropriately enough) "The Sin-Eater".

I can't remember which of his books this comes from, I think later than _Skating With Mary Jane_, but it's the first poem in the book.

Don't have it to hand as I'm currently twice removed from my library, but it's a fine poem, as is all of Tom Lynch's work in prose and verse that I've read.

(Admission of special interest -- I've heard Tom Lynch read, met him, and liked him, so I may be a bit biased.  A nice person and a fine poet and memorialist.)

Robin