I used their model combined with the HSE guidance/stats for a project and wrote an action plan clearly delineating management /HR and OH responsibility.

As part of it i insisted all stress & musculoskeletal absences be referred day 1
All cases over 35 days (in line with that 5 week point for decreasing chance of return) were actively reviewed weekly.
Senior management bought in and managed the manager's performance.
We worked closely with the unions explaining our aims (active health management with resulting benefit to employee and knock on benefit to employer) and got their support
We rolled out a targeted education programme on absence management to managers with but rather than just churn out the policies like old training had we cherry picked the main points and used cases to illustrate effect - we got a great response.
I took a strategic rather than an operational OH role and manager's were encouraged to call me to use me as a sounding board to gain confidence; I was careful not to give them answers but instead encouraged them to come up with solutions. Confidence soon grew.

We reduced sickness absense consistently by over 1.5% across the board.

Carr