From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Joanne Davies
Sent: 19 February 2010 16:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Kidney Donation and return to work issue

 Good afternoon, the OHP I work with has the following issue and I wondered what the views of this list would have on the following scenario:

Police officer donates kidney to her spouse. No complications from the procedure and remaining kidney healthy. Due the perceived potential consequences of trauma to the remaining kidney, she is of the view that she is permanently unfit for front-line confrontational duties of any kind and is not prepared to expose herself to these scenarios in view of this.

Police officers are recruited with unilateral kidney and home office guidelines/standards say usually suitable.

I have advised that the organisation should be involved in the decision on suitability for f/l duties taking acct of OH advice, actuarial risk of trauma (from historical rates etc), and her preparedness to accept a heightened risk, albeit possibly v small.

Wondered whether others had come across similar situations or have any data on risk of renal injury in cf situations eg Armed Forces, Fire Service. We could advise risk asst and restriction from the v high risk activities eg firearms, response driving but again the actuarial risk may be v low. I am sure a firearms officer with one kidney would be aggrieved to be redeployed as consequences of firearm injury would be equally serious whichever part of the body it passed through ie in effect risk probably no greater to background.

Colleagues have also mentioned the moral dimension/dilemmas for the organisation with organ donation and how far they should go in supporting restrictions.”

Thank you in advance for your views.

Joanne Davies
OHA

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) In case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.