I am currently writing a dissertation on the procedures of re-dyeing faded
bird feathers and the ethical debate that follows involving
conservators/curators/general public.

I am looking for links to-

-Dyes/pigments that could be recommended.
-Ideas into alternatives to the physical replacement of colour (photography
prior to display, etc).
-The basic molecular make up of melanin and carotene and how dyes effect it
chemically.

I am also asking for the opinions of professionals. Do you believe it is
ethically right to re-dye feathers? Are faded birds worth having in a museum
of Natural History if the general public cannot learn from them?

If anyone has any ideas which could help I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you