** The Music and Science list is managed by the Institute of Musical Research (www.music.sas.ac.uk) as a bulletin board and discussion forum for researchers working at the shared boundaries of science and music. **

MESSAGE FOLLOWS:

Dear all,

Next Friday 5 March, at 2pm, Prof Gaël Richard will present the
seminar entitled Presentation of Télécom-ParisTech / Automatic
separation and transcription of the main melody from polyphonic music
signals.

The seminar will take place in room 105 in the Electronic Engineering
Department, Queen Mary University of London, Mile End Road, London E1
4NS. Directions of how to get to Queen Mary are available at http://www.elec.qmul.ac.uk/newsevents/c4dm-seminars.php
  as are details of future seminars. The room is under access control,
so people from outside QM will need to contact C4DM to get in - the
lab phone number is +44 (0)20 7882 5528 and if I'm not available,
anyone else in the lab should be able to help. If you are coming from
outside Queen Mary, please let me know, so I can make sure no-one's
stuck outside the doors.

All are welcome to attend. For those unable to do so, a video
recording of the seminar will be streamed live and also made available
online after a few days. Please see the above website for details.

If you wish to be added to / removed from our mailing list, please
send me an email and I'll be happy to do so.

Next Friday's seminar (5 March, 2pm):

Title:
Presentation of Télécom-ParisTech / Automatic separation and
transcription of the main melody from polyphonic music signals

Speaker:
Gaël Richard
Télécom ParisTech, Paris, France

Abstract:
In this talk I will give a brief presentation of Télécom ParisTech
(formerly known as ENST), the Audio research group, and will address
its main research topics. During the second part of the talk, I will
discuss the problem of "monaural main instrument / accompaniment
separation" along with the transcription of the melody played by the
main instrument, within a unified framework. I will in particular
describe the signal model used for leading instrument source
separation which extends previous works on the domain with explicit
"MIR" knowledge. The proposed signal spectrum model explicitly uses
pitches (or fundamental frequencies) both to extract the main
instrument from the others and to transcribe the pitch sequence played
by that instrument. Results in source separation and melody
transcription will be given.

Bio:
Gaël Richard received the State Engineering degree from TELECOM
ParisTech (formerly ENST), Paris, France, in 1990, the PhD degree from
LIMSI-CNRS, University of Paris-XI, in 1994 in speech synthesis and
the Habilitation à Diriger des Recherches degree from the University
of Paris XI in September 2001. After his PhD, he spent two years at
the CAIP Center, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ, in the speech
processing group of Prof. J. Flanagan, where he explored innovative
approaches for speech production. Between 1997 and 2001, he
successively worked for Matra Nortel Communications, Bois d'Arcy,
France, and for Philips Consumer Comunications, Montrouge, France. In
particular, he was the project manager of several large-scale European
projects in the field of audio and multimodal signal processing. In
September 2001, he joined the Department of Signal and Image
Processing of TELECOM ParisTech, where he is now full Professor in
audio signal processing and Head of the Audio, Acoustics and Waves
research group. He is co-author of over 80 papers, inventor in a
number of patents and one of the experts of the European commission in
the field of speech and audio signal processing. Prof. Richard is a
senior member of IEEE and Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on
Audio, Speech and Language Processing.

Tim Murray Browne

--
Centre for Digital Music (C4DM)