Hi Fiona,

We've just been revising our course management policy based around the
idea of a Moodle course space lifecycle and I'm the process of writing
this up for our internal stakeholders.  Once it's been reviewed and
approved I'm sure we should be able to share  with this community and
perhaps present something on it at the MoodleMoot.

In essence we found that:

*         Staff and Students were confused if we kept older courses in
Moodle for a long period and often kept going to older courses rather
than the current instance of the course.

*         We've developed an academic course lifecycle whereby a course
is active for a year, archived for a year (read only but available in
Moodle to those who participated in the course), then removed from
Moodle but the database records and content are stored in file store for
a further five years before being destroyed.

*         We're starting to create courses for a new academic year
earlier in the previous session to give academics more time to prepare
course material.

*         We made some changes to the Course List Block so that a user's
list of courses are grouped by categories with the current academic year
courses at the top, then academic support courses, then archived copies
of previous year's courses.  Each course also has a different coloured
disc as an icon (green for current courses, grey for archived courses)
to make the most current courses the most prominent.

Regards,

Alison