Catherine,

A very long shot, but since sorting out some articles on Tyndrum for Peter
C. I too have been pondering the reference to:-

1760-1762  Rippon Company

1762-1768  Richardson & Paton

Yorkshire adventurers showed some interest in Scottish mines in the mid-18th
century.  For example, Cuthbert Readshaw & Co. were at Blackcraig in 1764.
He came from Richmond (N. Yorks) and had lead mining interests at
Grassington and in Swaledale.  John Horner, of Kilburn (N. Yorks) who had
significant mining interests on Greenhow Hill also had a mine at Leadhills
around 1800 (he died in 1817).

Two of the mines on Grassington Moor were Old Rippon and New Ripon
(sometimes with pp) and they were associated with people who held shares in
other Grassington mines with a John Richardson (Gentleman) (he too may have
had shares at Rippon, but I've found no record of it).

Moreover, the Mine Adventurers of England, who were at Tyndrum from 1746 to
1760, were also active around the head of Swaledale in that period - and
probably had contacts with the likes of Readshaw.

I've no idea who Paton may have been.

Best wishes,

Mike Gill