Från: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture [mailto:[log in to unmask]] För George FERZOCO
Skickat: den 29 januari 2010 01:13
Till: [log in to unmask]
Ämne: [M-R] canonizations by antipopes (was Re: [M-R] saints of the day 28. January_

John's post raises a question (from me, at least): Does anyone know of other examples of canonizations effected by antipopes? I think it would be interesting to know of these, and to trace the relevant cults.

All good wishes, George
--
George FERZOCO

On 28 Jan 2010, at 22:41, John Dillon wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> Today (28. January) is the feast day of:

<snip>

> 3)  Charlemagne (Bl.; 814).  "Carles li reis, nostre emperere magnes"
> (the opening words of the _Chanson de Roland_) was canonized by the
> pro-imperial antipope Paschal III in 1165 and enjoyed a later medieval
> cult especially in the empire and in France.  One reads in some potted
> notices that his cult was confirmed by Benedict XIV (1740-1758) but
> C.'s notice at the "Santi Beati" site
> http://www.santiebeati.it/dettaglio/91756
> is careful to point out that Benedict was not yet pope when he
> observed in his _De servorum Dei beatificatione_ that C.'s traditional
> cult constituted the equivalent of beatification.  C.
> (who does not appear in the RM) is celebrated liturgically today in
> the cathedral of Aachen, where the celebration is a locally permitted
> feast, and at the abbeys of Metten (Lkr. Deggendorf) in Bavaria and
> Müstair (Münster; founded by C.) in Graubünden, where it is
> "tolerated" by the Sacred Congregation of Rites.
<snip>

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]