You might try:
Maria *Hayward**Rich apparel:*  *clothing and the law in Henry VIII's
England /* 2009
*English* Book Book xxiv, 422 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
Farnham, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate Pub. Co., ; ISBN:
9780754640967
<http://xisbn.worldcat.org:80/liblook/resolve.htm?res_id=http://www.iris.rutgers.edu&rft.isbn=0754640965&url_ver=Z39.88-2004&rft_val_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:book>
(alk. paper) 0754640965
<http://xisbn.worldcat.org:80/liblook/resolve.htm?res_id=http://www.iris.rutgers.edu&rft.isbn=0754640965&url_ver=Z39.88-2004&rft_val_fmt=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:book>
(alk. paper)

Tom Izbicki

John Briggs wrote:

> ---- Madeleine Gray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

>> 2. I think it's possible that some of the figures are bedesmen from the
>> funeral procession and that one is one of the poor men given gowns to walk in
>> the procession. This is of course a common feature in late medieval wills and
>> funerals - but does anyone know of any specific descriptions of the kind of
>> robes they were given? The figure we are looking at has quite an elaborate
>> robe with buttons down the front and nice buttoned sleeves, but he's barefoot.
>>

> I think it's not so much how elaborate the robes were as the quality and quantity of the cloth.
>
> At the funeral obsequies of the Queen of Spain [Joanna the Mad] at St Paul's in June 1555, gowns for 120 poor men cost £125 18s 4d. The official mourners were issued with their livery as cloth (and presumably had it made up themselves!): the chief mourner got 16 yards and his two pages only 4 yards between them. The total cost of 510 yards was £363 8s. (Calendar of State Papers, Mary I, pp.100-101.)
>
> John Briggs

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]