Dear All

Elaine makes a good point. I've argued in 'Saints in the Landscape' for
Ledbury church occupying a baptismal site (mother church, St Michael
dedication, church built on - if not over - a stream), and Bromyard is
even more intriguing. St Peter's has a curvilinear yard around which the
town developed, so presumably represents the ninth-century minster.
However, it sits uphill from the river Frome. Just a mile south is St
Mary's, Avenbury ('burh associated with the Avon' - which Ekwall took to
be an older name for the Frome but could be the generic 'afon', I
suppose). It's isolated in a loop of the river. This, rather than
Bromyard, may have been the earlier, baptismal mother church of the
district.

Maddy's suggestion is worth taking up, too. John's post set me thinking
about Holywells (where 'wealla' is a stream, not just the spring) and
Holybournes. Holybourne churchyard, Hampshire, is the source of
Holybourne stream, a short tributary of the northern arm of the river
Wey. I mention this in Saints in the Landscape, too, but what I hadn't
realised until now is that near the source of the southern arm, only a
few miles away, is another Holywater. It takes its name from a similar
short tributary (or vice versa?). Divided between Headley and Bramshott
parishes, it is mentioned in 1350 as 'la Holewatre juxta Iveleybrigge'.
The natural mother church would be Farnham, Surrey, another mid-Saxon
minster.

So, two or three lines of enquiry, but the gap from the early to the
late medieval is rather large...

Best wishes

Graham

Dr Graham Jones
St John's College (University of Oxford)
Oxford OX1 3JP
Tel: +(0)1865 280146 (with voice-mail)
e-Mail: [log in to unmask]

Senior Research Associate