Steve,
I'm certainly not an expert on Paschal Candlesticks, but largely from my
readings concerning the bronze "column" of Bishop Bernward of
Hildesheim, created at the beginning of the 11th century as a Paschal
Candelestick, it would seem that they are primarily an Italian (possibly
Roman) phenomenon, and Bernward's example also makes use of a continuous
spiralling narrative around it, like Trajan's Column in Rome, so it was
probably made specifically to emulate Roman works.  There is a large
bibliography on Bernward's works, which would undoubtedly direct you to
further studies of Paschal Candesticks.
Cheers,
Jim

McMichael, Steven J. wrote:

> I visit Saint Paul Outside the Walls in Rome every year and I have very impressed with the marble Easter candle near the altar. I have been trying to find further information on the use of Easter candles in medieval churches and their function during the Easter celebration. I have found a few short articles on-line, but I am wondering if there are books or articles on the subject. I am trying to find out the following questions: How common were they?  Are there other examples of large Easter Candles (especially in marble)  in other churches besides Saint Paul Outside the Walls? What functions did they have in the Easter liturgy, especially the Easter Vigil? Was the function the same as in the contemporary Easter Vigil?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give me!
>
> Steve
>

> I know we have not enter Lent yet, but maybe this will get us in the spirit of preparing for Easter!
>
> Steven J. McMichael, OFM Conv.
> Theology Department
> University of Saint Thomas
> Saint Paul, MN