---- Graham Jones <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> John [Freeman] was being carefully punctilious in describing Bromyard
> and Ledbury as portionary churches, but his apology for using the term
> 'collegiate' is not really necessary because 'portionality' (if one can
> use that word) is one of the markers of pre-Conquest minsters, which in
> the main, as we know, were collegiate.

I don't think we do know that. A-S minsters certainly had multiple clergy (even multiple priests), but they dodn't seem to have usually had a college which itself possessed the advowson, which was the feature of later medieval colleges erected from parish churches. (If you were a patron, you could turn your parish church into a college by endowing it with something - the rectory - which you didn't own!) The feature of the 'portionality' was the multiple nature of the advowson, which could presumably be in several hands.

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]