---- John Freeman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A possible objection to John Briggs' surmise might be that if Holywater
> stands for 'Bromyard' or 'Ledbury', wouldn't a more natural expression be
> *Holywaters Lynton (or possibly *Lynton Holywaters) etc.? But I agree that
> the possessive seems decidedly odd.

Well, yes, but if it were "King's Holywater" and "Bishop's Holywater" instead of Lynton's Holywater and Norton's Holywater there wouldn't be any doubt!

I am thinking of the analogy wih Monk Sherborne and Dean's Sherborne (now Sherborne St John - the family not the saint!) in Hampshire.

Yes, "Holywater Lynton" and "Holywater Norton" would be more natural.

Another suggestion: is "Holywater" a name for the river (the River Leadon?)

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]