Cecilia,
If, along the way, you come upon any information about Joan's name in English, I'd like to read it. Her parents were peasants, so I wonder about the father's appellation, Jacques d'Arc, with the particule de noblesse no less. Even if he were the wealthy landowner some claim, this is well before the time when titles were sold or just assumed. And why would "d'Arc" have become "of Arc"? There is no Arc in France and never, to my knowledge, has been.
I have read many of the books suggested, but do not recall any discussion of this. If anyone has any info at the tip of his/her fingers, please advise.
MG