Here is a summary of replies from authorities regarding tutor lists on community information sites.

One authority does not vet tutor entries but has a disclaimer at the bottom of each record:

"Inclusion in this directory does not constitute an endorsement of any
service. Islington Council is not responsible for the content or
reliability of linked websites. Whilst every effort has been made to
ensure the accuracy of information supplied, Islington Council
recommends all information be verified with relevant parties".

Another authority no longer has responsibility for Community Information but the people that offer this service for the authority have decided against including tutors due to protection issues.

Another authority repled with:

Issues

There has been considerable correspondence between authorities over the years and some library authorities decided not to list tutors because of safety issues back in the 1990s.

We have recently flagged up these considerations again:

 “… With the emphasis on safeguarding and the new regulations regarding adults and children we wondered if we needed to look at the information we collect on InfoPoint.

Do we need to put in some sort of disclaimer saying that we do not know if tutors have been checked under the vetting and barring scheme (in case we are liable) and recommending that parents and carers check this?”

We now need to investigate this further and probably add additional guidance.  This is timely as we are developing the new LID and there are these new regulations to take on board.

Fiona

Help us get more police for Croydon. Register your support at www.croydon.gov.uk/morepolice
Looking to get fit for 2010? Pop into the Healthy Living Hub at the Central Library.

Please use this web site address to view the Council's E-Mail disclaimer -
www.croydon.gov.uk/disclaimer/email.htm