Hi Sarah

Some random comments occasioned by username and password thread :
apologies all if they restate whats been said already :-)

1) Username and password options often more difficult because they
confuse personal membership with institutional access : sometimes the
dialogue between subscription agents and publishers does not lead to
this being easily understood

2) Username and password is often a last resort if the publisher cannot
deliver IP access

3) Username and password options sometimes cannot be even locked down by
publishers ; many a times colleagues personal details are up there, and
we have the conversation' surely students wouldn't change these'

4) Username and password is sometimes used by big aggregators (who
handle big news...) who should know better

5) Username and password are often used by journal publishers for their
add-on website resource that is not really a journal any more (or if it
does it has so much more added to it)

6) Username and passwords are not very secure

But the other options are sometimes difficult for a publisher who will
say such and such will charge them X amount for Shibboleth or
OpenAthens: so maybe who can blame them?

Unfortunately for us there are no standards around username and password
and the actual ways in which such logins are used seem to be endless

Mark Brown
Electronic Services Librarian
eLibrary Team
Library and Learning Resources
Birmingham City University
0121 331 5291

Electronic Services
http://library.bcu.ac.uk/
Troubleshooting Form
http://library.bcu.ac.uk/trouble.htm
Electronic Resources Blog
http://eresource.wordpress.com/
http://www.twitter.com/mcbjazz

"If you don't make mistakes, you're not trying hard enough!"
-Charlie Parker