We put all locally listed buildings on - as far as we are concerned they all have an historic interest - which may or may not have been brought out in the Conservation Area Appraisal.  At a time when we are trying to widen the scope of HERs and strengthen bonds with our Conservation colleagues it would be unhelpful to try and make a distinction within locally listed buildings.  In fact if a Conservation Area Appraisal mentioned a building as of interest I would hope to be able to put it on to the HER even if it wasn't given a designation - though admittedly current resources do not always permit.  Even better of course would be some automated way of putting data from a survey such as a Conservation Area Appraisal into the HER.

Mike

Mike Shaw
Black Country Archaeologist

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Winfield, Hugh
Sent: 04 February 2010 13:10
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Listed and Locally Listed Buildings

Hi All,

I was hoping to get an impression of how people integrate Listed and Locally Listed buildings into their HERs. I currently have them both in the designations module of HBSMR; however the listed buildings and the original 1973 local list also have monuments records, even if no further information is available other then the listing entry. My main problem with recording like this is that the new conservation area appraisals being carried out here have added several hundred locally listed buildings, most of which are 19th and 20th century Villas and Terraces with no real historic interest attached to them.
I don't want to clog up the monuments module by duplicating the new local lists into it, but if I don't add them it calls into question whether I should keep all of the old lists and national listed building on.

My current thinking is to keep records where the building has a historic aspect (Docks custom house, WW1 aircraft hangar etc), but not to have monument records for buildings which have just been listed for their architectural interest (houses, a few offices and shops).  I can't justify using a date based cut-off system as unfortunately most of our historically interesting buildings are 19th and 20th century.

Anyway, if anyone else who has thought about this could email me with any solutions they came up with, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

Hugh

Hugh Winfield
Archaeologist

Development Management
Regeneration Department
North East Lincolnshire Council
Origin Two, Origin Way
Europarc, Grimsby
North East Lincolnshire
DN37 9TZ
Tel: (01472) 32 3586 Fax: (01472) 32 4216

P Reduce your environmental footprint, please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

The information in this message including any attachments may be confidential or privileged and is for the use of the named recipient only. If you are not the named or intended recipient you may not copy, distribute, or deliver this message to anyone or take any action in reliance on it. If you receive this message in error please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system

Scanned by Anti Virus Software

DISCLAIMER: This email and files transmitted are
confidential and are intended solely for the use of the
intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, or the person responsible for delivering it to
the intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose,
distribute or use it in any unauthorised manner.  If you
have received this email in error please notify us by
email to [log in to unmask] and then delete
it and any attachments accompanying it.  Please note that
Wolverhampton City Council cannot guarantee that this
message or any attachments are virus free or have not been
intercepted and amended.
Any views or opinions expressed within this email are
those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those
of Wolverhampton City Council and no contractual
arrangement is intended to arise from this communication.