In specific terms of finer granularity than country, and taking into
account the metrics unreliable, together with ambiguities imposed by ISP
location, and robot and spider activity, snapshot reporting could be
usefully and perhaps more advantageously be communally developed, were the
survey recommendations to be presented in ENGLISH.

Dan Hull <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Issues related to Historic Environment Records
10/02/10 10:40
Please respond to
Issues related to Historic Environment Records <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Web metrics report

Dear All

Last year, HEIRNET carried out a survey of historic information resources
to find out how they collect web metrics and what they do with them. Many
thanks to the many of you who participated in this. A short report is now
available from the HEIRNET website (on the homepage):
www.britarch.ac.uk/heirnet. This report contains a set of ten draft
recommendations, which I?ve included below. It would be valuable to have
your input and feedback on these recommendations. If you have any
comments, you can send them direct to me, preferably before 31 May.

The more information we have on the ways in which we all collect and study
web metrics, the more we can potentially ?pool? our data and adopt common
approaches. The idea is that while information providers inevitably
differ, being able to cross-compare our data should enable greater
discussion of how we can potentially increase audiences and monitor usage
more effectively.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

All the best

Dan.

________________
Dr Dan Hull
Head of Information & Communications
Council for British Archaeology, St Mary's House, 66 Bootham, York YO30
7BZ
tel 01904 671417, fax 01904 671384
A Company Limited by Guarantee, registered in England 1760254
& Registered Charity 287815.

Are you a member of the CBA?
www.britarch.ac.uk/join

Draft recommendations

1.      It is recommended that access statistics are collected and
analysed by HEIRs at least quarterly and that if analysis is done more
frequently then results can be aggregated into quarterly reports for
cross-comparison.
2.      Given the difficulties of equating IP addresses with unique users
due to IP pools etc., it is not recommended that metrics on IP adressess
are used. Rather, more specific information collected from registered
users and web surveys can be used and, where necessary, extrapolated to
give a general impression of total users and user breakdown
3.      In terms of user location at finer granularity than country,
ambiguities imposed by ISP location make the collection of such
information on the basis of metrics unreliable. It may be better to rely
on user registration information, as above
4.      It is surprising that less than half of HEIRs analyse information
on how users reached their website. Understanding how our sites are
discovered is an important tool in making them more discoverable, so
logging of referring sites and (where possible/applicable) search terms is
desirable.
5.      It is useful to draw a distinction between information collected
on access statistics and user behaviour. Information on user behaviour
cannot easily be compared on a like-for-like basis, so although sharing is
useful on a qualitative basis, quantitative comparisons are likely to be
deceptive (with the possible exception of bounce rates.
6.      Browser-based analyses using external providers (such as Google
Analytics) are useful for snapshot reporting, but for the analysis of
long-term trends the collection and analysis of logs internally is
recommended ? unless long-term  access to external service providers and
the data they hold can be guaranteed.
7.      It is important that those responsible for analysing web metrics
have a good understanding of the role of robot and spider activity since
these are likely to skew statistics on user behaviour. For
cross-comparison purposes, robots.txt files should also be shared.
8.      Organisations in the historic environment sector could do more to
compare approaches to web metrics, and also the many different non-metric
approaches such as web surveys, user observation, and registration
information. Shared surveys should be considered.
9.      The sharing of web metrics between HEIRs should occur more
regularly and openly, as a useful tool by which the sector can monitor
overall take-up and use of resources. The ability to show more clearly how
(and how well) historic environment information resources are used will
enable us more easily to obtain the necessary resources to support and
develop them into an uncertain economic future
10.     In order to facilitate more widespread sharing of web metrics,
common standards should be developed communally by the sector, and a
straightforward (and updateable) guide to measuring and describing use of
web resources produced to enable more organisations to take part in such
activities

This email and any attachments with it are intended for the
addressee only. It may be confidential and may be the subject of
legal and/or professional privilege.
sender or [log in to unmask]
The content may be personal or contain personal opinions and
cannot be taken as an expression of the County Council's position.
Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor all incoming
and outgoing mail. Whilst every care has been taken to check this
e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to carry out any
checks upon receipt.

Visit the Surrey County Council website -
http://www.surreycc.gov.uk