i've been reading about 'moral luck'. i think this means that a system may be immoral, eg cost cutting clinical systems, but if by luck it has no consequences then there wont be blame attached. if by bad luck though someone cocks-up within that system, then it is easy to apportion blame to that individual arguing that many others operated under the same system and didnt. the trick here then is for effective external inspection of any system before an individual blunders operating a risky system. obviously no one operating a system is going to admit to being immoral, so external regulation must be done but jetted to asking whats potentially wrong and how can it be put right? rather than pointing at individuals.

> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 19:32:48 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Mid-Staffs
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> when will those who design poor measures of performance be called to
> account, babyP, prison governors moving vulnerable prisoners to avoid
> censure, schools pushing pupils in every possible measurable way, Mid
> Staffs, there is no where where these abysmal targets have not caused
> distress and diminished performance except in box ticking.
>
> I was horrified to find that our nurses have to have an annual update in
> how to take smears, by going to a lecture, and even more to find they
> had not been allowed to take them in the first [lace without writing a
> 2,000 word essay, talk about inappropriate assessment and a waste of
> public money. ||Who gets given the power with out responsibility for
> this total madness?
>
> Karen

Got a cool Hotmail story? Tell us now