The question of performers lists does appear to need some clarification.

1. to be on a Performer's List as a GP, do you have to be a GP?
(Cornwall apparently thinks not in the case of EU doctors).

2. is it permissible for a PCT, OOH service or locum agency to assume
that being on a PCT Performers List shows that the doctor in question is
in fact a GP and presumably has the training and experience to act as a
GP?

3. My understanding was that you could not be on two Performers Lists at
the same time - and *had* to be on a list within the country in which
you were working ( and this was causing huge problems for locums who
wanted to work both sides of the Scotland or Wales/England borders or in
NI) and that the PCT on whose list you were should be the one where you
did most of your locuming - and should chuck you off if you didn't locum
there for x months.

So one of the things coming out of this affair would seem to be that
either the requirements for being on a PCT Performers List are
insufficiently precise to prevent individuals not qualified to act as
GPs, especially as locums or OOHs, and/or Cornwall PCT should be asked
why they, as it were, underwrote a doctor who had no GP qualifications
or experience, thus enabling him to take on a job which he could not be
expected to be able to perform.

A final question might be: how common is this situation?
Had he not ignored all the instructions and clues about diamorphine (if
you have to use a dose higher than the dose in a standard ampoule, it
does suggest that this requires a good reason - and I understand the OOH
kit also included dosage instructions) the situation would not have been
made obvious.
Surely any lessons learned **must** include examination of Cornwall's
actions?

Mary

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Declan Fox <[log in to unmask]>
writes

--
Mary Hawking