Dear Colleagues,

If you are planning to attend the Goldschmidt Conference (June 13-18, University of Tennessee), please consider two opportunities to engage Teaching Mineralogy, Petrology and Geochemistry:

1.  Please consider submitting an abstract to Theme Session 21 B, Teaching Mineralogy, Petrology and Geochemistry. Please share the innovative teaching methods that are being used across the MPG disciplines Abstracts can be submitted online at: http://www.goldschmidt2010.org/abstracts/instructions#who and abstract deadline is February 21.  Session description:

To ensure the health and vitality of mineralogy, petrology and geochemistry (MPG), there is a need to recruit and retain the best and brightest young geoscientists to our disciplines. There is an immediate need to train all future geoscientists in the fundamentals of our science, and also to open the possibilities of exciting new research in the MPG disciplines. This session invites contributions that describe new approaches to instruction in MPG that encompass learning in the field, laboratory, analytical techniques, modeling, using geochemical databases, and research on learning in the MPG disciplines.
<http://www.goldschmidt2010.org/themes?theme=21#session_21b>

2.  There will be a pre- Goldschmidt Conference Workshop on Teaching Geochemistry, co-sponsored by the On the Cutting Edge program for geoscience faculty professional development. This workshop will meet Friday evening (June 11) through Saturday and Sunday prior to the main Goldschmidt Conference.  The workshop will include invited speakers, demonstrations of  innovative teaching methods, and small group discussion sessions.  Details of the workshop and registration will be posted in the near future. For now, mark your calendars for June 11-13  and plan to join us.  This workshop will be similar to the one we held prior to the Goldschmidt Conference at the University of Idaho--see what new teaching resources have become available in the past 5 years!

Best to all,
Dave Mogk
Montana State University