I agree entirely with Eric, both with regard to the epidotes and
allanites report and more generally. I have felt for years (decades?)
that the IMA has NOT served  our community well, and particularly not
the petrologic community. As an example, I continue proudly to use the
terms "sphene" and "hypersthene", although they have been officially
banned by the IMA nomenclature police. I well understand the need for
clear and unambiguous nomenclature to promote efficiency and accuracy of
scientific communication, and the IUGS igneous rock nomenclature
commissions by and large did a very good job of cleaning up the naming
of igneous rocks in the 1970s and 1980s. But I would like to have
someone who approves of  IMA's work to explain to me what is either
ambiguous or unclear about sphene or hypersthene. If recommended
nomenclature rules do not serve the two simple ends of promoting
conciseness and a lack of ambiguity, then they are likely to be
arbitrary and probably are unnecessary.

There is nothing wrong with committees or commissions making
/recommendations/, but I particularly like Eric's suggestion that
members of the relevant scientific societies should put these
recommendations to a vote by the parties who will have to use them
before such recommendations become official or editorial policy.

Bob T.

Eric Essene wrote:
> All,
> But is a stupid report.  It should be voted on by the entire
> membership, not a small committee.  Or have we turned to a dictatorial
> structure entirely?  Who is in charge here?
> eric
>

> On Feb 12, 2010, at 5:33 AM, Christian Chopin, ENS wrote:
>
>> Dear Shreya,
>>
>> you may find  a good tutorial on how to handle EMP analyses of
>> epidotes and allanites in the report of the IMA  epidote nomenclature
>> committee, attached and available at
>> http://eurjmin.geoscienceworld.org/cgi/reprint/18/5/551
>> and a few more allanite-group minerals described in the attached paper.
>> With best wishes
>> Christian Chopin
>>
>> Shreya Karmakar a écrit :
>>> Dear All,
>>> I am working on characterisation of REE minerals (allanite,
>>> monazite, pyrochlore,apatite) as part of my M.Sc. dissertation. It
>>> would be very helpful if anyone could please refer me to or send me
>>> some papers on geochemical analyses of allanite (using EPMA data)
>>> and its classification specially.. Regards,
>>> Shreya.
>>

>> --
>> Christian Chopin                [log in to unmask]
>> Laboratoire de Geologie         fax: +33 1 44 32 20 00
>> Ecole normale superieure
>> 24 rue Lhomond
>> 75005 Paris, France
>> http://www.geologie.ens.fr/