David,
Hello. I dont think the zero matrix should work. The design matrix is needed by the film program because it is calculating the residuals, so it needs to regress out something and calculate the autocorrelation.
So a model fit to a zero matrix should not work. The ramp matrix works because it will result in a fit and even if this ramp is removed from the data, it should not matter, unless your scientific question is related to linear drift.

Jason.