Hi again

> The effect you point out lies behind the reason for the differences
> in the copes - if the true BOLD responses to the different duration
> trials are in fact more similar than is assumed by the HRF linear
> convolution model, then the shorter duration trial regressors will
> need much larger betas to fit the responses. This does make
> comparisons of trial types that have brief and variable durations
> trickier to interpret - the effect could be due to greater neural
> activity or a non-linearity of the BOLD response to brief stimuli.

Eugene is being subtle :)
What he means to say is that you simply cannot expect to compare a 1s
trial to a 3s trial.
There are two reasons for this:
i) The linearity assumptions of the hrf are not good in this range.
ii) Your modelling assumptions of neural activity are not good. For
example, what if there were a region that exhibited phasic activity to
the onset of a trial (instead of continued activity throughout the
trial)? The neural activity would be identical in each case.
Presumably the BOLD response would be identical, but your betas will
be 3x bigger for the short than the long trial - it will look like a
massive difference in activity, even though the underlying activity is
identical.