Hi,

Introducing regressors from MCFLIRT into the GLM and
using confound EVs from fsl_motion_outliers work in
very different ways.  The first case assumes that there
is a linear relationship between the observed signal and
the detected motion with MCFLIRT.  The second is used
to identify timepoints where the residual image intensity
changes are over a threshold (and hence outliers) and
then "removes" the effect of these timepoints completely
from the data.  It is different from editing out the timepoints
as it does not cause the problems for filtering and
prewhitening that editing does.  Therefore it you have very
strong motion at a point then fsl_motion_outliers should,
in theory, work better as the effects on the image intensity
are using very non-linear and so the MCFLIRT method
normally does not work so well here.  However combining
them is a potentially good, if conservative, thing to do.
I certainly expect different results.

Also, I am unaware of anything called fsl_motion_remover
so I cannot comment on this.  Is it something developed
in your own lab?

As for MELODIC - this is a powerful way of removing
motion effects if you can clearly identify them in the
output.  As it has a subjective component, it can be
tricky in some situations to be sure which components
are definitely motion effects, but often a combination
of where the effects are spatially (normally around
big intensity boundaries) and when they are in time
(often sharp spikes) allows you to work out which
components are the ones you need to remove.  It is
also OK to remove some but not all in case you are
unsure - it will then just be a question of whether you
have improved the situation sufficiently to see the
true biological activations come through.  Just try it
and see how it goes.

Hope this helps.
All the best,
	Mark