Hello all
News (below) of the next RaPAL conference - on multiliteracies.
James

From: The North West Skills for Life Research Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Abrahams, Jessica
Sent: 25 February 2010 16:30
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Call for Workshops - RaPAL Conference 2010

Apologies for cross-posting.

RaPAL Conference 2010
Greenwich University, London
15-17 July
Multiliteracies
Changing literacies, changing worlds

It is a decade since the New London Group used the term Multiliteracies in their groundbreaking volume of the same name (Cope and Kalantzis, 2000) to describe the diverse linguistic forms and multimodal media we now employ to communicate with each other.

In this conference we seek to explore how literacies and languages interrelate in the context of our linguistically and culturally diverse society.  What is the power of different literacies to change lives and worlds, in local and global contexts?  Within the field of adult literacy, how do new technologies and new literacies offer opportunities for critical engagement and learning?  Workshop themes could cover the following issues:

*  Practice, research and policies that recognise and support a variety of literacies and languages

*  Practice, research and policies that explore different contexts for literacies, language and learning

*  Practice and research that explores the meanings of literacies within different contexts and localities

*  How can digital technologies support learner 'voices'?

*  What do practitioners need to know in developing pedagogies for multiliteracies and language variety?

We invite you to participate in these themes by offering workshops, taking part in panel discussions, contributing to practice-based workshops or presenting posters.  Please note that workshops should be interactive sessions and that proposals should explain how this will be achieved.  Workshop outlines should be between 200 and 300 words long.

We welcome proposals from new presenters and will be happy to offer advice and support if you have not presented at a conference before.

For more information or to submit your workshop outline, please contact
Vera Hutchinson: [log in to unmask]<http:[log in to unmask]> or Irene Schwab: [log in to unmask]<http:[log in to unmask]> by 31st March 2010.

--
Nancy Cranham
Administrator

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm
To contact the list owner, send an email to