On the last day of my course, I sometimes bring in a set on magazines... I look for things that have a tenuous (no more) connection to their research, but a completely different audience: children's magazines, health magazines, hobby, gardening and animal and farmer-directed titles. They then have to identify a part on their research that would be interesting to that audience, and develop a synopsis and a pitch, including the direction the first lines will take. These are working scientists, we do it in a workshop (they would not like this as homework, I think) and they love this. It does let us have a great (and often funny) discussion about audience... something they will have been getting in a different way in every class.