I did something similar - though not as exciting - a few years ago in a project called 'writing geology' which involved student workshops. One of the exercises was to ask students to compare three articles related to the same geological phenomenon: one from the everyday press, one from a geology magazine and a third one from a geology journal. This helped raise issue of audiences and audience expectations in relation to content and style. There is more about the project at: http://www.gees.ac.uk/planet/p15/sy.pdf

Anne-Florence Dujardin, Senior Lecturer in Communication Studies
From: European Association for the Teaching of Academic Writing - discussions [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sandra Sinfield [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 25 February 2010 08:52
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [EATAW] basics of academic writing

A lecturer here at London Met gets students to re-genre writing from
other courses as part of her programme. Hence an anthropology essay
might become a sci-fi play; a rather tedious regurgitative essay from
one subject - might become an exhilarating children's story in her course...
This also seems to raise student awareness - alongside their interest
and enthusiasm.
Best,
Sandra Sinfield

--