Hi Rebel,

Conducted between teachers and their students - not in a separate writing centre.

I described 'written commentary' as default simply because here in the UK it is the standard response provided on academic texts. Conferences are used in some universities but not all over here and when they are - it's often as additional feedback to the written response.

I believe there is a strong tradition of one to one conferencing on writing in the US in both classrooms and writing centres? It is  something not so common over here.

I find it very interesting that the feedback you provide is ALL spoken.

Mr Zulfi Qureshi
Senior Lecturer in English Language
Course Leader for International Foundation Programme
Tel: +44 (0) 1772 89 3677
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

>>> Rebel Palm <[log in to unmask]> 07/02/10 3:53 AM >>>
Hello all,

I direct a graduate level writing center in the US, and
I'm always trying to find out what goes on in other
writing centers. I'm curious Zulfi, are these essays
written as part of an EFL class, or are these conferences
being conducted in a separate venue for writing where the
writing might be being done for other disciplines?

And what do you mean by "default 'written commentary'"? We
don't do any written commentary at all with any of our
students, international or NES, only verbal f2f
conferences, so I'm interested that written commentary
would be the default.

Dr. Rebel Palm
Graduate Student Writing Studio
College of Education
University of New Mexico

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 01:44:09 +0000
Zulfiqar Ahmed Qureshi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I am currently investigating the use of spoken feedback
>with international students in one to one writing
>conferences on their academic essay drafts (on a
>foundation/pre-UG course) and wish to ask the following
>of you all:
>
> 1) How many of you use such conferences with your EFL
>sts to discuss essay writing drafts? Is it a common
>feature of feedback methods employed by UK/European
>universities on such courses (in addition to the default
>'written commentary')?
>
> 2) Does anyone know of any studies conducted at
>UK/European universities on this area as most are US
>based.
>
> Many thanks for any help/responses you may be able to
>offer.
>
> Zulfi
>
> Mr Zulfi Qureshi
> Senior Lecturer in English Language
> Course Leader for International Foundation Programme
> Tel: +44 (0) 1772 89 3677
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Bring to the act of writing all of your craft, care,
devotion, lack of humbug, and honesty of sentiment. And
then write without looking over your shoulder for the
literary police. Write as if your life depended on saying
what you felt as clearly as you could, while never losing
sight of the phenomenon to be described.
Norman Mailer, The Spooky Art