Hi,

I recently had to phone a LA about this and they said that as long as the year abroad was part of the degree: i.e. the credits the student gained while abroad would replace the credits they would have had in their second year at UWE, they would continue to fund the support.

ATB

Claire

From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paul Vickers
Sent: 05 February 2010 19:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Supporting students on exchange

Hi Alison,

from an assessor's point of view I've recently had a similar situation of a student needing NMH support going on an exchange to Australia. I can't see any reason why the funding body shouldn't fund the support through the DSA if it can be arranged in the host university and if the exchange is integral to the course. I don't know the outcome of my recommendations yet - (The student should just about have gone to Australia around now. I'll try and find out.). I'd think it would be the Student Advice Centre's role to sort out the support and the funding body's responsibilty to pay for it. I'm only surmising though. Sorry to be so vague.

Paul

Paul Vickers                        E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Assessor                             Mob: 07725079870
St Peter's House
Precinct Centre                    Reception: 0161 275 0990
Oxford Road                        Fax: 0161 332 7858
Manchester                         Minicom: 0161 273 6358
M13 9GH