Just my opinion, but I would have thought it unlikely that any HEI could refuse to accept a Deaf student on the grounds that they couldn't afford to support them. Even if the student wasn't eligible for DSA, most HEIs have millions of pounds in funding and I think the law would deem it unreasonable to reject a Deaf student, even if their support went over the ceiling of the NMHA.

Perhaps if it was just a short course (as opposed to a degree programme), the institution could make a case that the cost of the support for an individual student was greater than their budget for this specific course.

Mind you, with future spending cuts in HE being announced yesterday its possible an HEI might try and make such a case in the future...

Simon

Wendy Knowles (W.Knowles) wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> [log in to unmask]:143/fetch%3EUID%3E.INBOX%3E9650?header=quotebody&part=1.2&filename=image001.gif" v:shapes="_x0000_Mail" class="shape" style="display: none; width: 0pt; height: 0pt;" height="0" width="0">

Hello

Just want to seek some advice from colleagues. Has any institution ever been in a situation where a profoundly deaf student has not been accepted due to the high level of financial resources which need to be put in by the institution (above the DSA non medical helper’s allowance)?

I am very unsure how institutions stand as regards the DDA and would value everyone’s comments.

Many thanks

Wendy

Wendy Knowles

Disability Advice Team Manager