Is the psychologist mentioning ADHD and Aspergers as well as SpLDs, Jo? If so, I'd leave it to whoever is producing their assessment of need to make the decision about mentoring. Are they suggesting study skills and mentoring? In my experience students can become confused by having access to two such forms of provision, to say nothing for the demands on their time.

If the ed psych is not diagnosing the students with SpLDs but is making mention of ADHD and/or Aspergers, while falling short of actually making a diagnosis, I'd try and secure a route to diagnosis through their GP or possibly a psychiatrist affiliated to your counselling or student health service, assuming you have one.

As far as I can make out the diagnostic tool for AD(H)D is a checklist that the candidate can complete themselves, which doesn't seem as rigorous as those for SpLDs.

Simon

Jo Barnes wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite"> Untitled Stationery
Dear all,

Hopefully you can help me out again!

We are finding that our 'diagnosing psychologist' of SpLDs is flagging both mentoring needs and signs of ADHD and Aspergers in her diagnostic reports. We would be interested to know if anyone has experience of SFE recognising this as a 'formal diagnosis' and responding appropriately if this was flagged on a student's DSA application.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards

Jo Barnes
Disability Services Coordinator

Student Support Services (S3)
Central School of Speech and Drama
Embassy Theatre
Eton Avenue
London
NW3 3HY

Tel: 020 7559 3992

Notice of Confidentiality: This e-mail and its attachment(s) are intended for the named addressee(s) only. It contains information which may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the addressee) you may not read, copy, distribute copies or take action on it (except to contact the sender), or disclose its contents or any part of its content to anyone else. If you have reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please contact the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. We have taken steps to ensure it is free from viruses and neither The Central School of Speech and Drama nor the sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses. It is your responsibility to scan the email and its attachments. The content of this email is that of the author and does not necessarily represent the views of Central. Central accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided. Central shall not enter into any legally binding arrangement with a recipient by email. Please note that in order to investigate unauthorised use and compliance with internal policies, incoming and outgoing communications may be intercepted and monitored by Central.

--
Simon Jarvis
Head of Disability & Dyslexia Service

Student and Campus Services