From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Trent
Sent: 01 February 2010 00:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [data-protection] Banks and extra security layers

My bank is doing a lousy job at selling me an extra layer of security it "would like me to use" for internet banking. They have failed to explain what they mean and what the new service does.  It is Trusteer's Rapport service which is a browser plugin.

Apart from wondering about other plugins that might masquerade as this one I have found the following paragraph on the Trusteer product description:

"Unauthorized attempts to access the browser or its communication are automatically reported to the Trusteer cloud-based fraud analysis service. The Trusteer team of fraud analysts works 24x7 analyzing this information from customers all over the world, in order to identify new attack patterns. Institutions registered for the Trusteer service receive immediate reports and actionable alerts of new attacks, and can learn of attacks as they happen, instead of days, weeks, and sometimes months later."

Nowhere does it state whether personal information is transmitted.  I doubt that it is, but would be interested in knowledge that members may have of this and similar services.  My first instinct is always to be sceptical of services that an institution wishes me to install.

Also, when you ask your users to deploy something, how well do you sell the idea to them? And do you recognise that some methods of doing this raise user hackles instead of acting as a salve to the users?

Tim Trent - Consultant
Tel: +44 (0)7710 126618
web: ComplianceAndPrivacy.com - where busy executives go to find the news first
personal blog: timtrent.blogspot.com/ - news, views, and opinions
personal website: Tim's Personal Website - more than anyone needs to know

Marketing by Permission

Important: This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. This email and any attachment(s) are believed to be virus-free, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to make all the necessary virus checks. This email and any attachments to it are copyright of Meadowood Associates, owners of Compliance And Privacy, unless otherwise stated. Their copying, transmission, reproduction in whole or in part may only be undertaken with the express permission, in writing, of Meadowood Associates, at Meadowood House, 30 Redditch, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 0TT.

All user commands can be found at http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help/commandref.htm and are sent in the body of an otherwise blank email to [log in to unmask]

Buckinghamshire County Council

Visit our Web Site : http://www.buckscc.gov.uk

Buckinghamshire County Council Email Disclaimer

This Email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Buckinghamshire County Council unless explicitly stated.

If you are not the intended recipient, the use of information by disclosure, copying, retention, distribution or any further processing is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager at [log in to unmask]

This footnote also confirms that this email has been swept for content and for the presence of computer viruses.

End of disclaimer