--- Apologies for cross-posting ---

Dear colleagues,

I am preparing a session for the Annual International Conference of the Royal Geographical Society (RGS-IBG) “Confronting the Challenges of the Post-Crisis Global Economy and Environment” that will take place in London on 1-3 September 2010 (www.rgs.org/AC2010).

The topic of the session is:

Migration and migrants in a time of crisis and thereafter: economic repercussions, strategies to cope and beyond”.

This session will aim at exploring the broader implications of the economic crisis for the migrant position in the labour market.

Papers in this session might address questions such as:

  • How has the present crisis influenced migrant employment patterns?
  • Could any return or trans-national movements be observed?
  • Has there been any response in terms of regulatory policies?
  • What spatial disparities can be registered with regard to migrant reactions to the changing economic situation in host countries?
  • How can these disparities be explained?

The papers comparing different categories of migrants and/or different countries are especially welcome.

If some of you are interested in attending this conference and presenting theoretical considerations and/or case studies related to this theme, please contact me as soon as possible. An abstract of up to 250 words would be needed from each presenter, by 15 February 2009 at the latest.

Sincerely

Demyan Belyaev