FYI,

I just used a Matrix Weight of 2.0e-5, yes that's a weight of 0.00002,
on a rather poor 2.9A map generated from a PHS file (XtalView format
text filecreated from the CNS omitmap.coeff map output).  I have not
noted any real problems with REFMAC generated MTZ files, so the
weighting must be optimized for REFMAC generated maps.

Mark

On Thu, 2010-02-04 at 06:22 -0600, Paul Emsley wrote:

> Miguel Ortiz Lombardia wrote:
> > Le 4 févr. 2010 à 04:37, Norman Zhu a écrit :
> >

> >> hello there
> >>
> >>       I am in the process of refining a protein structure complexed to DNA
> >> promoter site.  I ran into difficulty as i try to move a few bases into
> >> patch of electron density that is obviously meant for them.  dragging the
> >> bases with real space refine zone and/or regularize zone neither break open
> >> the phosphate back bone bounds or turn everything into knots.
> >>       I know there is nothing wrong with the naming convention of my bases
> >> since I changed them from DT to Td after similar blog.
> >>      Any suggestion on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Norm
> >>

> > Hi Norm,
> >
> > Depending on the resolution of your data you may need to turn down the matrix weight in refinement parameters. I tipically put this down to 30 (compared to the default value of 60) and for really lower resolution (say 3 or worse) I may go as down as 20.
> >

> I frequently use 6.0 or even 2.0 sometimes.
>
> Paul

Yours sincerely,

Mark A. White, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Dept. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,
Manager, Sealy Center for Structural Biology and Molecular Biophysics
X-ray Crystallography Laboratory,
Basic Science Building, Room 6.660 C
University of Texas Medical Branch
Galveston, TX 77555-0647