On Feb 16, 2010, at 1:22 PM, Paul Emsley wrote:

> Sebastiano Pasqualato wrote:
>> Hi Paul, hi all,
>> besides for the principal task of building molecules, I like using coot for studying structures.
>> I would however be very happy to give a given chain a determined color, rather than having colors attributed by the program.
>>

> Well,  you (only) have
> Edit -> Bond Colours -> { pull the slider }
>
> that's all you have for now - and for at least the next year.

yeah, that's what I feared :-(.
Ok I'll have to deal with it, but still think this is a main missing feature.
Won't' stop me from using coot, though!

> (those settings get saved to the state file, btw)
>
>> By the way, I don't know if that's a problem of mine only, but with the new version of coot (I'm currently using Bill Scott install of Coot 0.6.1 on MacOSX 10.6.2) when I try to change chain colors with the Edit-->Bond colors-->Molecule colors I only have one of the chain of a molecule that has the color changed, the others stay of the color they were.
>>

> If I understand you right, that should not be - and indeed does not happen for me. (You are in "Bonds (Colour by Molecule)" mode, right?)

No I'm not in Bonds (colour by molecule). In that case, all the chains of the molecule have the same colour, and the colour do change when you pull the slider.
What interests me is the "Bonds (Colour by Chain)" or "CAs + Ligands" representation, in which different chains in the same molecule have different colours.
In that case only one chain changes colour when I pull the slider, the others don't htey used too, though).
Don't know if it's just me.

thanks Paul,
ciao

--