Dear All,

Here are the main suggestions I received. I'm going to try them all.

Many many thanks for your help.

Yours,

Claudia

Possible solutions:

1. Maybe adding the cryo to the crystallization already?

2. 2R3R-Butandiol is the best cryo as being used in very low amounts. 10% are typically enough.

3. Put a small droplet of paratone-N next to your drop such that they

touch and then drag the crystal into the oil and take care to remove the water from around

it (the buble aorund it within the oil) and freeze. When draggin into oil go loop first such that

the loop plows the way a bit (or some part of it) mechanical sress can be a problem due to

the viscosity, but otherwise it often works, though not always..

4. 2M amm sulfate might be quite enough if you do the transfer and dipping quickly.

5. other option is to add salt. e.g LiSO4 should be good cryoprotectant (see cryosalts)

at high conc.

6. Have you tried with ethylene glycol for example?

7. Maybe you do not need any cryoprotectant and crystals mountd in small loops
will freeze just fine straight out of your drops...

8. Under what conditions did the crystals grow? If its sodium acetate and
ammonium sulphate I would try adding sodium malonate as a cryo
protectant (with 2-2.3M ammonium sulphate adding 0.6-0.8M Na malonate
should be sufficient) or increasing the ammonium sulphate concentration.

Claudia Scotti Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale Sezione di Patologia Generale Universita' di Pavia Piazza Botta, 10 27100 Pavia Italia Tel. 0039 0382 986335/8/1 Facs 0039 0382 303673