On Feb 7, 2010, at 11:13 PM, Wataru Kagawa wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to create a pdb file for a chemical compound (FW ~600) that was created in our chemistry department. ChemDraw 3D appears capable of doing this, but I would like to know if there are free alternatives that work great on Macs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Wataru

Hi Wataru-san:

Three easy steps:

1.  Define a SMILES string for your compound.  The java molecular editor makes this easy:  http://www.molinspiration.com/jme/

2.  Paste the smiles string into COOT, or feed it into phenix.elbow

3.  Output the pdb file.

COOT is faster but phenix.elbow allows you to minimize the structure, even using third-party QM programs like GAMESS.

I trust all is well.

Bill