Eric,
    I try to finish my email this time. Assuming you have python on your system you can use the great little python script youtube-dl (There is a download link at http://bitbucket.org/rg3/youtube-dl/wiki/Home).

On the command line go to the folder where you downloaded the script  and type

 ./youtube-dl -b "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foobar"
The -b flag looks for the highest quality version of the video. (Note you'll have to chmod the script to run it).

The videos are typically in flash video format (flv) so you need a decent video player for them, VLC typically works a treat.

I've successfully used the program to download many a sesame street episode starring elmo, which keeps my daughter quite content.

Stephen