Dear Jacob,
I second the CompactClover plates suggested, either in 96-well (1 drop
per well) or 24-well with four drops per well format. Easy to set up
by hand, nice viewing characteristics, clear flat bottom of the drop.
I think the polarisation is also ok, although I personally tend to
take the polariser off the microscope to get more light - I don't feel
polarisation adds much useful information anyway.
I don't find 96 wells is a lot of work before sealing and tend to use
the broad sealing tape, but you can also buy the less broad sealing
tape and seal the first half of the plate before continuing with the
rest.
In Europe the CompactClover plates are also sold by Jena if I am not
wrong, in Spain also by Diffractia - and in the USA (and rest of the
world) by Emerald.
Greetings,
Mark

Mark J. van Raaij