Dear Amit

As Paul suggests, you can get some idea if the interaction is consistent
with biologically relevant protein-protein interfaces through looking at the
the size of the interface and the nature of the contacts in the interface.
There is substantial literature on this topic, see
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19021571?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubm
ed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=11
for example for a review.

The better way of course to test the relevance of this interface is
experimentally, by mutating the tyrosines and seeing the effect on the
oligomeric state in solution.

Best wishes

Bostjan

On 23/02/10 12:57 AM, "Paul Emsley" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> amit sharma wrote:
>>
>> Apologies for a non-CCP4question.
>
> Arrrrggh!  Stop! Stop it! Stop apologising for using CCP4BB in the way
> it is supposed to be used!
>
> And not only that, this is not a non-CCP4 question.
>
>> I have a structure of a dimeric molecule, where the interfaces between
>> monomers is held by a couple of tyrosine residues (per monomer)
>> juxtaposed with each other. The molecule exists as a dimer in
>> solution. Are there ways/programs to show that the interaction between
>> the tyrosine residues is not a consequence of crystal contacts. I
>> guess the fact that the molecule occurs as a dimer in solution
>> strongly suggests so. Also, any directions towards literature showing
>> similar cases would be of great help.
>
> PISA tries to distinguish between assemblies that occur only as a result
> of crystal contacts and those that are intrinsic molecular interactions.
>

> Paul.

---
Bostjan Kobe
ARC Federation Fellow
Professor of Structural Biology
School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences
  and Institute for Molecular Bioscience (Division of Chemistry and
Structural Biology)
Cooper Road
University of Queensland
Brisbane, Queensland 4072
Australia
Phone: +61 7 3365 2132
Fax: +61 7 3365 4699
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Office: Building 76 Room 329
Notice: If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please notify me, and do not
make any use of its contents. I do not waive any privilege, confidentiality
or copyright associated with it. Unless stated otherwise, this e-mail
represents only the views of the Sender and not the views of The University
of Queensland.