rui wrote:
> Hi, Dear All,
>
> I have a mac 10.4 with 4GB memory, I thought it should be pretty fast.
> However when  I run coot, it's kind of slow. Even when I push the
> space key to go to next residue, I can feel it is really walking to
> the next residue. Is this normal or something maybe not set up
> correct? I wonder how feasible it is to do modeling in laptop. Sorry
> for the dumb question, but I just want to get a sense how fast it
> should be, so that I can have things fixed.

About -> On Line Docs -> "Slow" -> Search

...works for me.

Otherwise:

http://www.biop.ox.ac.uk/coot/doc/chapters/user-manual_8.html#SEC199

Or search the coot mailing list archive yourself.  Here:

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0912&L=COOT&D=0&P=42829
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0912&L=COOT&P=R4009
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?S2=COOT&q=slow&s=&f=&a=&b=

Or search majorgroove yourself:

http://www.majorgroove.org/questions/99/why-has-my-coot-gone-slow

Or

Edit -> Preferences -> Smooth Recentering -> Number of Steps -> 10

Also the Coot Spin Test page may be of interest

http://www.biop.ox.ac.uk/coot/spin-test.html

Paul.